세계를 놀라게 한 한국 야구는 나의 마음의 치유! > 지난 오피니언

본문 바로가기

페이스 상패 제이미 제이미혜택

이곳은 2017년 이전에 올려진 아멘넷 오피니언 칼럼 글입니다. 이름으로 찾으실 수 있습니다.
황상하 | 김동욱 | 최송연 | 허경조 | 이수일 | 송흥용 | 김정국

지난 오피니언

세계를 놀라게 한 한국 야구는 나의 마음의 치유!

페이지 정보

이수일2006-05-09

본문

(Korean Version)
야구의 저변을 넓히자는 취지를 가지고, 세계 최고 기량을 지니는 미국 메이저 리그 야구의 선수들을 대거 참가시키며 국가 대항전으로 월드 베이스볼 클래식(World Baseball Classic)이 국가간 야구 토너먼트로 올해 처음, 지난 3월에 개최되었다. 주목할 만한 것은, 한국과 일본의 상위 입상의 우수한 성적은 이 곳에 사는 우리와 아시안들의 위상을 높여 줌은 물론, 우리 아시안들이 결코 스포츠의 열위에 처해 있지 않음을 보여주는 계기가 된 것 같다.

한국이 4강전에서 일본을 이긴 다음 날 아침 출근 시간이었다. 운전 중 이 곳 뉴욕의 라디오 코리아가 아침 뉴스 2부 순서로 8시에 한국 뉴스를 들려 주었다. 시종 일관 다루어진 소재는 “세계를 놀라게 한 한국 야구”이었다. 일본을 이기고 4강에 진출한 감격을 여러 각도에서 조명했다. 그 중에는, 여기 사는 동포들의 인터뷰 내용도 있었다. 우리의 위상을 더 높이는 계기가 되었다고 강조한다.

뉴스를 들으면서 여러 번 가슴이 벅차오름을, 그리고 때로는 눈가에 눈물이 고임을 느꼈다. 눈물을 왈깍 쏱아내고 싶은 심정도 한 두번 있었다. 뇌리 한 곳에 잠자고 있던 아팠던 기억이 되살아났기 때문이었다.

여러 해전, 즉 아이가 3학년 때부터 6학년이었던 때의 리틀 리그 야구 경기에 관한 이야기이다. 편견이 심했던 코치와 일부 부모들이 자기네 아이들만 경기에 출전시키려는 이기적인 태도를 보였다. 초기에는 등록하여 참가한 아이들에게 균등하게 경기를 할 수 있는 기회를 주지 않아 안타깝기만 했다. 승리도 중요하지만, 아이들게게 야구를 즐길 수 있는 기회의 배려가 아쉬었다. 배팅 연습장을 데리고 다니며, 그리고 집에서 투수 연습장을 만들어 직접 가르치면서 아이가 경기에 잘 임할 수 있도록 도왔다.

그러나 그들의사려깊지 못한 행동은 아이의 기분을 여러 차례 언짢게 하고 있었고, 내 속에서는 분노가 점점 쌓이고 있었다. “It’s not fair!”라고 되뇌이면서.내심 짜증이 나는데도, 계속 아이를 위로하며 리틀 리그에의 참가를 중단하지 않았다. 결국 4학년 때, 한 경기에서 아이가 투수로서 13개의 삼진을 잡고 홈런을 치면서 투타에서 두곽을 보이게 되었다. 관람하던 부모들과 아이들이 이 찬사를 아끼지 않았다. 그 후로는 코치들이 서로 자기 팀으로 이듬 해에 들어오게 하려고 우리에게 접근을 했다.

이사를 한 2001년도, 아이가6학년 때 유사한 상황이 재연되었다. 이 번에는 아이가 상처를 깊이 받는 것 같았다. 아이의 눈물을 보며서 마음이 무척 아팠다. 주관하는 단체에다가 항의를 할까라고도 생각해 보았다. 결국, 아이가 점점 야구에 대한 흥미를 잃어 버리게 되었고 이듬 해부터는 야구 리그에 가입하는 것을 중단했다. 특히, 팀에서 자기가 유일한 아시안(코리안)이기에 소외당하는 것을 느끼는 듯 하여 솔수무책으로 나는 무기력해짐을 느꼈다.

다행히 자라면서, 본인이 받았던 고통을 잘 승화시켜 다른 친구들이 따돌림을 당하지 않도록 하는 태도가 배양된 것 같았다. 학교에서 인종 구분 없이 친구로 지내며 배려하는 의식과 태도가 형성되어 아이의 성숙에 오히려 이제는 감사함이 있다. 그 때 받았던 아픔이 다른 아이들을 배려하는 성숙에 도움이 되었던 것 같다. 교회에서도 말이 없는 중학교 동생들에게 접근하여 그들이 소외되거나 따돌리지 않도록 하는 행동에 감탄도 일어난다. 아이에게 상처를 극복하여 당신의 사랑을 나누는 지혜를 허락하심에 오히려 하나님께 감사한마음도 있다.

“세계를 놀라게 한 한국 야구” 는, 나와 아이에게는, 한국인으로서의 자랑스러움 이외에 아팠던 마음을 씻어 주는 계기가 되었던 것 같다. 우리 코리언들도 야구에 관심이 많고 재능이 다른 민족처럼 있다는 것이 보여짐으로 말이다.“세계를 놀라게 한 한국 야구”가아이에게 편견을 가지고 공평한 기회를 주지 않았던 코치와 부모들 같은 이들의 의식에 도전이 되었으면 한다. 그리하여 우리 아이가 받았던 상처가 야구를 좋아하는 우리 한인 나아가 아시안 아이들에게는 생기지 않았으면 하는 바램이 있다.

다행히, 여러 스포츠에서 한인 및 아시안들의 역할이 괄목하게 성장한 것 같다. 프로 야구에서도 점점 아시안 선수들의 숫자가 늘어 나고 있음을 본다. 특히, 슈퍼볼의 MVP인 Hines Ward는 우리의 많은 어린 아이들에게 희망을 심어 주는 것 같다. 혼혈아로서 받은 온갖멸시와 차별을 극복한 그의 이야기는, 소수 민족의 어린 아이들에게 자신감 및 미래에 대한 소망을 심어 주리라 믿어진다.

최근에는, 이 곳에서 1.5세나 2세로서 성장하여 부모가 된 한인들이 원활한 언어 소통과 의사를 당당히 표현하는 자세로, 학교의 학부형 회의 및 리틀 리그의 야구장 같은 곳에서, 차별이나 불공평을 당당하게 지적하며 대처한다고 한다. 이것은 바로 우리 한인 및 아시안들의 성장이자 역사적 진보의 한 부분으로 여겨진다.

끝으로, 차별에 관한 우리의 의식이나 태도에는 문제가 없는지를 한 번 살펴봄도 중요하게 여겨진다. 같은 아시안끼리나 타민족에 대한 차별적 태도가 우리에게는 없는지... 고통을 경험했으면, 남의 고통을 이해하는 성숙이 우리에게 있으면 하는 바램이다.

(English Version)

The 1st World Baseball Classic was held during the month of March 2006. Its purpose was to extend the baseball spirit worldwide. This international tournament included many Major League Baseball Players who were considered very talented. Excellent performance by Asian countries such as Korea and Japan resulted not only in making Asian-Americans feel proud of their countries, but also proved that Asians are not in the position of athletic inferiorities.

The following morning after Japan was defeated by Korea, I happened to have listened to the news from Radio Korea, a local Korean broadcasting station that gave information about the Korean team, while driving to work. The themes were about “Korean Baseball Surprising the World.” They talked about many perspectives on the Koran national baseball team who reached the final tournament after defeating Japan at the preliminary league. Some Korean-Americans were ecstatic during the interview, “We are very proud of our Korean team. The victory made us feel good as Korean…”

Listing to the news, I felt emotional ups and downs, which brought tears to my eyes. There were a couple of times that I felt like letting as much tears as possible flow. It was because, unpleasant memories came to my mind, which was about the mistreatment of my son when he played in the Little League Baseball.

It is about my son’s Little League baseball games several years ago. He was in the league from 3rd grade to 6th grade. There were coaches and parents who were selfish. They kept their children into the games but Asian children were very limited in play; they sat on the side lines. The parents and coaches were unfair and appeared somewhat prejudicial. I was unhappy to see some children who had registered in the League unable to play due to the inconsideration of adults. I wished that the children could have had opportunities to enjoy the baseball games by playing. I had to console and encourage my son so that he would continue to play the baseball games. Finally, my son was given a chance to pitch for the whole 6th inning game. He showed that he was a competent player by many strikeouts and excellent batting. All spectators admired him and some coaches approached me and suggested that they wanted my son to be on their teams.

Upon our relocation to another neighborhood, a similar situation reoccurred. He was in the sixth grade. This time, he appeared to be deeply hurt. It was painful to see his tears. I felt powerless when I realized that he was not favored because he was Asian. I thought that I would need to appeal the situation to the administration of the league. He gradually lost interest in baseball.

Fortunately, he utilized his pains for his psychological growth. He now states that his unhappy experiences made him consider others not to be left out regardless race and color.

The Korean Baseball team’s victories that surprised the world made me feel proud to be a Korean and became a healing process for me. I felt that we Koreans were better recognized to be much interested in and able to play baseball like Americans. I wish that “Korean Baseball That Surprised the World” will help those who were inconsiderate and selfish with their rigid prejudice.

I see more Asian players in sports. There are more Asian players in the Major League Baseball. Asian players appear to give a hope to our children. Especially, MVP award winner of Super Bowl Mr. Hines Ward’s story that he became successful despite prejudice as a Korean-Black American seems to give a hope to our children.

Korean-American parents who were born and/or were reared in the states expressed how they felt when their children were segregated against in many places such as school, sport-setting, etc. I believe that what they demonstrated is a part of our cultural growth and historical progress as Asian-Americans.

It is important that we, as Asian-Americans, examine our attitudes toward other races. We need to remove our negative attitudes toward other races, including Asians. I wish if one experienced the pains of prejudicial acts, he or she should be able to emphasize with people of other ethnicities.
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기