꽃이 떨어져야 열매는 맺는다 > 오피니언

본문 바로가기

이곳은 2017년 이후에 올려진 글입니다. 이전에 올려진 오피니언 글은 지난 오피니언 게시판에서 보실 수 있습니다.

오피니언

꽃이 떨어져야 열매는 맺는다

페이지 정보

이종식2021-11-18

본문

이종식오래전 어느 날 저는 집사람이 집 뒤 뜰에 심은 호박씨가 열매 맺는 것을 보았습니다. 집사람은 농촌에서 자라났기 때문에 호박에 대해서 저보다 잘 알았습니다. 그날 집사람은 호박 줄기에 꽃이 핀 것을 보면서 저렇게 꽃이 피는 곳마다 열매가 맺는다고 하였습니다. 그러나 저는 어떻게 꽃이 피는 곳마다 열매가 맺을 수 있단 말인가 의심했습니다. 그런데 정말 놀랍게도 꽃이 핀 곳 뒤로 열매가 맺는 것을 보았습니다. 그리고 열매가 조금 자라자 곧바로 꽃이 떨어지는 것을 보았습니다. 그 광경은 저에게 참 귀한 것을 가르쳐 주었습니다. 그것은 열매를 맺으려면 꽃이 떨어져야 한다는 것이었습니다. 우리 인생의 모습을 보면 꽃을 피우려고 노력하는 것 같습니다. 무슨 일을 하든지 내가 드러나야 하고 누군가 내 영광을 가로채면 분노합니다. 무슨 일을 할 때 수고한 나의 이름이 빠지면 섭섭해하고 힘이 빠지는 것을 느낍니다. 그리고 우리 자녀가 사람들에 의하여 무시당하는 것 같이 생각되면 분노를 참지 못하게 됩니다. 그리고 내가 수고한 것에 대한 보상을 제대로 받지 못했다고 생각되면 기운이 빠지고 섭섭함이 찾아옵니다. 그래서 우리는 한바탕 주변을 흔들어 놓습니다. 그러나 그 결과는 언제나 후회와 함께 손에 쥘 수 있는 열매가 없다는 것이었습니다.

이런 마음은 목사인 저에게도 똑같이 찾아옵니다. 작년인가 뉴욕 교회협의회에서 그 해에 임원과 각 부서를 맡은 분들의 이름을 발표한 것을 무심코 읽게 되었습니다. 그 발표한 내용을 보면 교협에 등록된 모든 사람의 이름이 직책을 따라 기록되어 있었습니다. 그러니까 한 사람도 빠짐없이 무슨 작은 직책이라도 맡긴 것입니다. 그래서 나는 나의 이름은 이번 해엔 어느 부서에 있나를 찾아보게 되었습니다. 그러나 나의 이름은 그 어느 곳에도 없었습니다. 나는 교협의 일에 자진해서 유년분과를 3년인가 감당하고 목회 일이 바빠서 그 후로 아무 일도 하지 못하게 되었습니다. 그러나 어떤 부서에든지 작게나마 내 이름은 있었습니다. 그래서 그 책임이라도 하자는 마음에서 교협의 일에 나름대로 후원을 열심히 했습니다. 그러나 그해에는 전혀 제 이름이 없었던 것입니다. 나는 그것을 보며 어차피 직책을 주어도 못 할 것인데 무슨 상관이냐고 생각을 했지만 그래도 무시당했다는 생각이 들면서 섭섭해지는 것을 경험했습니다. 그러나 곧바로 유치해 지지 말고 이번 해엔 더 열심히 도우리라 생각하며 할렐루야 집회와 그 밖의 행사 때도 열심히 후원하고자 노력하였습니다. 저는 그때의 일을 생각하면서 참 내 이름이 빠진 것이 무엇인데 그런 것을 가지고 마음이 상하려고 했나를 생각하며 스스로 창피함을 느끼게 되었습니다.

나의 삶에 꽃이 피는 것은 대단한 영광이라고 생각합니다. 그러나 그보다 더 중요한 것은 그다음에 오는 열매라고 생각됩니다. 그런데 자연의 원리로 보면 꽃이 떨어져야 열매가 맺으니 우리는 우리에게 잠시 찾아오는 꽃을 던질 수 있는 용기가 필요하다고 생각됩니다. 그렇게 해야 우리의 삶엔 영원한 열매가 맺힐 것이기 때문입니다. 성경을 보면 세례요한은 참으로 멋지게 인생을 살다가 간 사람이었다고 생각합니다. 그는 예수님을 향하여 “그는 흥하여야 하겠고 나는 쇠하여야 하리라”고 고백하였습니다. 예수님이 영광을 받으려면 자신이 꽃이 떨어지는 것처럼 사라져야 한다는 것을 고백한 것입니다. 그리고 실제로 그는 예수님이 구세주로 등장하시자 곧바로 형장의 이슬로 사라졌습니다. 그리고 그는 자신의 역할에 가장 충실했던 사람이라는 영원한 열매를 맺게 되었음을 보게 됩니다. 한 주간도 더 열매를 맺기 위해 나에게서 피는 꽃을 과감히 던져 버릴 수 있는 귀한 삶이 되기를 축복합니다.
이종식 목사 드림

“Flowers Must Fall Away in order for Fruit to Bear”

Some time ago, I saw a pumpkin seed that my wife had planted in our backyard bear fruit. My wife knew more about pumpkins than I did because she grew up in the countryside of Korea. That day, my wife showed me a flower that bloomed on the pumpkin vines and said that a pumpkin would grow wherever a flower blooms on the vines. But I was doubtful that a pumpkin could grow out of the same spot the flowers had bloomed. However, surprisingly, a pumpkin really formed at the same place where the flowers had bloomed. And I saw that when the pumpkin had grown a little, the flower fell off. This taught me a valuable lesson; in order to bear fruit, flowers must first fall off. When we look at our lives, it seems like we try hard to make flowers bloom. Whatever we do, we want to be acknowledged; and when somebody steals the spotlight, we become angry. When we are not recognized for our hard work, we become upset and feel discouraged. When we think our children are being ignored or disregarded by others, we cannot seem to hold back our anger. And when we think that we have not been properly compensated for our hard work, we feel disheartened and upset. So, we stir up our environment and cause chaos. However, this always results in regret and lack of good fruit.

Even though I am a pastor, I get these thoughts, as well. Last year, I happened to peruse through the names of the members of the New York Church Council. The list presented the participants of the council by stating the person’s name, followed by his position. Every single person is entrusted with a role within the council. So, I looked for my name to see the role I was given this year. But I could not find my name anywhere. Before, I voluntarily supervised the youth division for three years, but could not continue to do any work for the council because I was busy with my church ministry. Nevertheless, my name was always included on the list with a position—no matter how insignificant the role was. So, I always tried my best to fulfill my responsibilities for the council. But last year, my name was not mentioned at all. When I noticed that, even though I thought to myself that it does not matter because I would not be able to take on the responsibilities even if I was given a position, I still became upset because I felt like I was disregarded. But I decided right away not to be immature about this. In fact, I determined to help them even more this year. And so, I gave my full support to the Hallelujah Revival and other events. When I looked back at the incident and thought how I almost became upset over something this trivial, I became embarrassed of myself.

Beloved Church, I think it is a great honor when flowers bloom in our lives. However, I believe that the fruit we bear through that flower is of more importance. Nature shows us that flowers must first fall off in order to bear fruit. Thus, we need to have the courage to throw away the flowers that bloom in our lives, for this is how we can bear eternal fruit. When we look at the Bible, we can see that John the Baptist lived an exceptional life. He confessed that he should decrease, but Jesus should increase. In other words, he was confessing that in order to give Jesus all the glory, he should fade away like a flower falls off. In fact, as soon as Jesus appeared as the Savior, John the Baptist disappeared like dew. And we can see that he was able to bear eternal fruit for his faithfulness to his given role. I pray that during this week, we would be able to boldly cast away all the flowers that bloom in our lives so that we may bear more fruit.
Blessings,

Pastor David Lee
이종식 목사 (베이사이드장로교회)
ⓒ 아멘넷 뉴스(USAamen.net)
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

오피니언 목록

게시물 검색

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기